Completing your training contract and gaining qualification as a solicitor is an exciting time. It is the culmination of all your hard work, from university through to law school and the two years of training. Your career doesn’t stop upon qualification and the big question for all newly qualified lawyers (NQs) is what to do next.
Each year we place countless NQ lawyers into a variety of practice areas. We work with the leading UK, US and international law firms as well as many of the top domestic practices. We also have a highly successful in-house legal search team working with some of the most widely recognised brands within commerce and industry and financial services.
What to do next?
One of the most important things to remember about qualification is that you should start considering your options as soon as possible; whether you think that your current firm will offer you a role or not
Some of the key points to consider are:
- Before you start searching you should update your CV.
- Start your search ideally six months before you qualify.
- Instruct a recruitment consultancy you trust, which can add genuine value to the process and which has a strong track record of working with the firms that you would be interested in joining.
- Make sure the consultancy you work with commits to never sending your CV without your consent.
- Remember to track where your CV is being sent.